Marine Stadium Recreational Uses Trial
Gold Coast Waterway Authority (GCWA) is undertaking a 12-month trial of a waterways management option that aims to support a broader range of recreational uses within Marine Stadium, located at the Top of The Spit, Main Beach. The Marine Stadium Recreation Uses Trial commenced on Friday 31 March 2023.
- A recreational opportunities area that excludes powered vessels will support a range of recreational uses within the northern 300 metres of Marine Stadium, consistent with the vision for the area outlined in The Spit Master Plan (2019).
- Access to the Jetty and Pontoon has been enabled through a 45-metre-wide navigation channel along with a maneuvering area to each side of the structure.
- The management option has been achieved using a Waterways Notice issued under Section 22 of the GCWA Act and will include a monitoring and evaluation process.
- GCWA undertook a destination planning process for the Marine Stadium, including significant community consultation, to find the best future uses of the area focusing on the marine environment and foreshore areas.
- Completed the Marine Stadium Tidal Exchange Investigation that attributed the breaches of the safe swimming thresholds within Marine Stadium to illegal waste dumping by vessels. The study recommended GCWA adopt a management option that separates vessels from other recreational uses is the most effective way of supporting a range of recreational activities within Marine Stadium (as sought by The Spit master plan, outcome 1.9).
- Issued a Waterways Notice that created a vessel exclusion area within the top 300 metres of Marine Stadium to facilitate the safe construction of the Marine Stadium jetty and pontoon delivered through the Spit Master Plan implementation program